<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

No knitting, no spinning, just ranting... 

I don't think marriage is anywhere near the end-all-be-all, [although, I must admit I love it] but the government and society provide an awful lot of incentives. That's why this whole "same sex marriage ban" thing really pisses me off. People say "political correctness" like it's a bad thing, but what is so bad about treating every person as a human being deserving of love? Why are we spending so much time and money denying the rights of about ten percent of the population? If people of the same sex want to get married, why not? What harm can it do that adulterous politicians, Britney Spears and the "fair and balanced" Fox network haven't already done? I saw some moronic @sshole on CNN today in a t-shirt with silkscreening across the front, with "HOMO" in one of those circle and bar things like a "no smoking" pictograph and I felt like committing an anti-troglodyte hate crime. And I hate that I felt that anger over such a stupid little man.

Not to mention that I feel like a total nutcase for bringing in gov't conspiracies, but here it goes:
I live in San Diego, I spent the last two years of high school at Coronado High School. San Diego is a Navy town, and the Navy essentially built Coronado out of dredge from the bay and landfill. My first boyfriend was in the Navy, and he asked me to marry him. He was 23, I was 17. Did he ask me to marry him because we loved each other madly? No, but because if you are married, the Navy ups your benefits and housing allowance a spectacular amount. It's not about love, it's about money. [We broke up shortly after I said no, so then he asked my little sister out. I think everybody should get worst.scumbag.boyfriend.ever. out of the way their first experience out of the gate]

I knew a few gays and lesbians in the Navy who married each other as beards--that is to say, protective insurance against a dishonourable discharge for something which should have nothing to do with one's job in the military at all--and, why not, to take advantage of some of the benefits that so many straight people were getting with their own marriages of convenience.

In my more paranoid moods, I think this anti-gay-marriage thing is the first step to legalising a creation of second-class citizenry. Deny them the right to marry and the right to adopt, deny the rights which are so easily given to anyone else who happens to have a slot B for their partner's tab A and care enough to hold their shit together just long enough to get through Elvis' Drive Thru Chapel of Love.

I fear the religious right is becoming so much louder and bolder in its bigoted zealotry, and it is so frustrating how quickly this shift has occurred in the popular public mood.

Why do these people care who is sleeping with whom?

Why is a president indicted for a blow-job while another continues a legacy of killing civilians and soldiers in actions which destroy global good will, produce record deficits, and don't do anything but make the United States of America a more paranoid and unsafe place to be?

Before we spend 80 billion dollars on a war, how about better education, better health care and welfare systems, and environmental safety?

Ah, I'm just a dirty hippy! What the fuck do I know?

Anyway, all I've just said has already been said by someone else, and if you've read this far, I've probably just been preaching to the choir.
I just don't understand the lack of empathy.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


free hit counter
eXTReMe Tracker