<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Stuff! 

My wheel came. I love it. I've had such a hectic-feeling week (but one of those that you look back and say, "Well, wait. What did I do?") that I'm really just in the mood for a short entry.

I went to the library to return two books (maximum fine due), and at the La Mesa library during the hours it is open you must walk them inside and they just happen to have a shelf of donated books for sale by the door. I found six National Geographics, Middlesex, The Da Vinci Code, an herbal remedies encyclopedia, and Grass For his Pillow, all for a whopping eleven bucks. Which, since I've been gasping to read Middlesex, had The Da Vinci Code on my "to check out" list and the Otori Trilogy on my buy or checkout list and I am a spaaz about returning books on time (see above) I came out very happy.

Especially since one of the National Geographics was the May 1988 issue, with "Wool: Fabric of History" as its cover article.

And may I stop here and say: I grew up on National Geographic. It's such an institution, and was such a familiar feature in my life that I don't italicise it.

A subscription was a gift I got every Christmas growing up and I looked forward to it every month.

Somewhere amidst the whole growing up thing that subscription lapsed and wasn't renewed until I did it last year.

And is it just me? Has NG become more fluffy, less substance, shorter features, fewer maps, and with an embarassing dependence on the internet, especially with links to "learn the rest of the story at..."?

Even more parenthetically, is anyone else with me to revolutionise English grammar to make it acceptable to place incongruous punctuation outside of quotation marks?


Anyway, these six I got are like wonderful time capsules (another article in the May 1988 edition is titled: "The Persian Gulf: Living in Harm's Way," so some things don't change) but the Wool feature written by Nina Hyde is just f&cking amazing. Production, breeds, people, hobbies, histories...and this picture.



Taken by Cary Wolinsky, my husband pointed it out to me and we laughed at it ("Look! This woman knit herself some friends!") until I read the caption:

The cat's alive, but the rest of Noeline Black's knitting friends are stuffed. Created by Black and other members of the Fabric Art Company in Wellington, New Zealand, they reflect the humor and ironies of domestic life. Taking yarn from her own leg, the woman at far right is unraveling herself to make the baby she has always wanted.


The knitted faces of this tableau may be grotesquely caricaturistic but it is real, and it resonates. Chez Miscarriage aside, we all know people destroying themselves for the idea of something they want to obtain/become.

Although, as knitters we also know that ripping can equal a rebirth; so, this unraveling of self funneling into creation of another being or idea is not necessarily a destruction, but a transformation?

Anyway, this piece makes me think, and feel, and examine my thinking more in depth than shit in a can.
And it was just a silly picture in an old magazine bought for a quarter. Imagine the revelations I'll glean from my $450 spinning wheel ;)




So much for a short entry. Here's a great non-worksafe non-dial-up friendly [sh*t, what is, these days?] link for a Dutch advertisement for English lessons:
"I want to..."

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


free hit counter
eXTReMe Tracker