<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A week of D'oh! 

Sunday, I met up with Heidi and Nancy to knit and spin at a local café and while parallel parking, I tapped the van in front of me.
I have NEVER done that before.
No damage (to either vehicle) and no irate owner, so no foul. Still, there were (of course) people sitting in the outside café seats watching.

After the fiber, muffins, and caper fun, I walked over to Plum Pottery to see if any of our glazed pots had come out. I found that I over glazed mine and it had stuck to the kiln shelf. Thankfully, she coats the shelves with a layer of something like slip, so I hadn't broken her shelf, but I did have a cauliflower like bloom of jagged melted glass that had to be sanded and dremel-ed off on Monday.

Monday, I did a really crappy job of dremeling and sanding the bloom off, scuffed the glaze in parts I hadn't meant to, and gave up because I started hallucinating that I could see the little sanded bits of glaze (glass) floating up and being breathed in.
And I was doing a truly crappy job, but I do love the bowl anyway.



I had carved dragonflies along the side of the bowl and the glaze kind of buried them.



I think the colors on this bowl are my favorite. Bright blue, dark green, then inside, a granny smith green with the emerald green rim.



Tuesday's a blank. It must have been really bad. I know we went to dog beach. And Snowball was really cranky that night, he wanted to sleep in bed but growled, barked, and snapped every time we moved so he was ejected and force to sleep on the one of the floor dogbeds. Horrors.

Wednesday, I got a parking ticket, apparently UCSD felt I violated one of their "areas":



But I got to see Hilari so it was totally worth it.

And because of the wonder of modern technology, I've appealed the ticket online. I am a cop's daughter, and a cop's wife. NO WAY am I going to have to face the consequences of my mild rule-breaking.

I hope.

I also drove up to Santa Monica with Heidi and had a good time at Wildfibers, (thanks to MJ for the heads-up e-mail) which is a really great store if you have a fair bit of cash and love to knit with the best. I managed to only spend $20 on buttons despite never knitting anything which ever needs buttons. They're just so cool.



And an oilcloth notions bag. Just to keep the little floaty crap in my bag in a bag of its own.
Because I'm "rich" and "American" and we do things like that. I didn't throw down an average Ethiopian's yearly income ($100) on a skein of handspun cashmere, but I was sorely tempted, I'll admit.

And they have the 5" Brittany needles which are impossible to find down here, and the little (I think they're Clover) circular needles which make my wrists ache just looking at them, the ones for sleeves or gloves). And a big selection of Tanglewood Fibers handspun yarn and some handspun made by Yee, a girl/lady/woman/womyn who works there. She does it on a spindle and it's great stuff in the Pluckyfluff style.

Wednesday night, I came home to a Louet order which arrived looking like this:



Thank you US Customs for the fine job you do protecting us from unmutilated cultivated silk sliver and superwash sockyarn!

Despite my drama, only one skein and one half pound bag of the silk were damaged.

Thursday I went shopping and placed the gallon of milk I bought next to a big bag of apples in the fridge. Now, our milk tastes like apple gas. Big deal.

Saturday, I almost finished the Clapotis, but I ran out of yarn.



So. %$#*&. close.

I guess I should have dropped two repeats from the third section instead of just the one. Now I know.

I consoled myself the only way I know how, by making the house reek of wet silk and wool.

superwash wool and silk skeins


The silks skeins on the right are part of 20 skeins of the WRONG YARN which arrived on Friday. Yes, and it was all my fault.
Obviously I'm not terribly fussed about it though, as they are lovely, pure cultivated silk fingering weight two ply.

This is my favorite result of the dyeing spree though, I wish I'd done more.

superwash wool roving


It's amazing how slippery and flyaway superwash is in the roving, you have to handle it even more carefully than the silk roving, and it even comes out of the bag a bit discombobulated so that doesn't help. It's an absolute pleasure to spin though, so it's worth it.

And D'oh! The Next Generation

You have to check out this pdf. First, I love the sheep in the header, and second, I love the "minimises teat and pizzle damage" benefit bit.
June of Twosheep posted about bioclipping which I hadn't heard of and I broke my eBay rules (#1, no more fleeces bought online #2, don't pay more for shipping than the item cost) and snagged one. It remains to be seen if this'll be a fifty dollar d'oh! or not. What with holiday shipping and the Customs Faeries, I don't expect it to show up much before Valentine's Day.

I have to admit, all these "d'ohs" actually make me feel pretty darn spoiled and lucky.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


free hit counter
eXTReMe Tracker