<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 05, 2006

Dye-o-rama, mama 

Like everything about me, this is seriously delayed.

I am participating in the Dye-o-Rama swap project. They (not-so) recently posted an exhaustive list of questions. I wish my buddy had a blog as there's lots of useful info here. Anyway, this may be too late as some have already received their yarns, but since I'm still dithering about what to send mine...

Specific to this swap:

Your favorite colors?

Blue and green, orange and red (I like dyeing purples an pink, but not keen on them as part of my wardrobe) Not keen on pastels or florescents, but I do like bright saturated colors, and misty, twilight tinted colors. I like skeins that have colors that play well together, plus one that pops out and hits you in the nose (like oceanic blue & green & seastone with an orange Garibaldi flash)

Preferred yarn weight (Fingering, Sport, DK, maybe even Worsted)?
No preference.

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn?
Multi-colored or kettle-dyed solids are more fun to knit with when you've got less than a sweater's worth, for socks and scarves and such, IMHO.

If your buddy is able to do so, would you like a variegated, self-striping, or self-patterning yarn?
The latter two sound like an interesting challenge, but I know I am going to love whatever comes--serendipity is fun enough. I've never bought any self-striping or self-patterning yarn myself.

Would you be interested in a wool blend sock yarn (nylon, tencel, silk, acrylic, alpaca, etc.)?
Not real keen on the acrylic, honestly. But like I said, this is for fun, for both, so who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised--there's some acrylic out there that I think totally rocks (well, "micro-fiber" like Berocco's Plush)

Imagine the perfect colorway. What would you name it?
Oceanic Flight 815. Just kidding.
Scripps Pier? Garibaldi Flash? Maybe I'll dye a San Diego sunset colorway with occasional tints of green and call it Green Flash, although I've never seen the Flash myself.

What was the biggest appeal to you for joining this dye-along?
I love handpainted yarns, I do them all the time for the shop (though I'm cr@p at listing stuff) and I love seeing the infinite variety that comes out of other people's pots. It seems like everything I do lately is with an eye to selling it, I thought it'd be fun to trade a little, to create something completely different without having to worry about selling/pricing and play with the creation process.

General yarn/fiber questions:

Have you dyed yarn/fiber before?
Yes.

If so, what’s your favorite dye and method?
I don't think I have a favorite, just different methods for different effects. Mostly I use acid dyes and do variegated colorways.

Do you spin?
Love, love, love it.

Have you knit socks before?
A baby sock. And I have a sock on the needles now. I don't know where it is, but it's there.

Do you use sock yarn for just socks or in other patterns too?
Sock yarn is just a very general weight class term to me. So, yes. The Gems Opal is a great weight for socks and I did the BiColor Cardigan out of it. Which reminds me, I really need to finish it.

What are some of your favorite yarns?
Handspun. Handpainted. Like farts, I prefer my own brand. Ha, no, I also love the Fleece Artist that Amy just sent me, I'm drawn to Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool. Henry's Attic organic cottons, the thick and thin Colinette clone of the Le Bouffon. I love stuff that smells sheepy and/or has a sheen, like silk/wool 50/50 blends or merino/tencel. I'm trying to love linen.

What yarn do you totally covet?
I must be too self-indulgent. If I want it, I buy it or make it.

Favorite patterns?
Norah Gaughan's new book looks very cool, and I have Teva Durham's Loop-d-Loop. I like those patterns that are classics with a twist and inspired by flowing natural shapes. I like cables, but I also like easy. I like comfortable and I like cute.

Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object?
Totally stealing Heidi's idea of doing Teva Durham's Cabled Riding Coat out of handspun vicuña.

Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)?
I have Denise interchangeables. For the smaller sizes I like the Chiao Goo bamboo or Brittany DPNs, Inox circs or Addi circs. I hate crappy joins.

If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be?
I see a quiz out of this. I don't have a clue. Some sort of handspun, spun in the grease maybe.

Nothing to do with knitting/yarn/fiber in any way but seemed kinda fun:

Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack?
I love trail mix with chocolate in it; my secret pal made some that was so good, the dogs stole the package from where the mailman had dropped it over the fence and dismantled it in the yard (thankfully, she'd packaged the mix to be whippetproof) and they've NEVER done that before or since. Chocolate, sour, and/or funky candy. Whenever I make the mistake of buying Red Vines they go way too fast and I get a red film on my teeth.

What’s your favorite animal?
Dogs. (and don't tell the dogs, but I'd really like a cat. Or cats. And I have a thing for chickens. And it would be neat to have the space [well, the zoning really] for sheep and goats.)

Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages?
Tahoe, whippet, 5 years old, neutered male. Libélula (Belu [BAY-loo] for short), fat whippet, 3 years old, spayed female. Two parakeets, Junior is nearly six years old and Pollo del Cielo (Heaven's Chicken) is of an undeterminate age as he was a handoff from a neighbor. He didn't come with a name either so we gave him that one, a spoof from a folk song. They live in a cage on the deck so they're more like noisy fish than pets.

If you were a color what color would you be?
Blue or green. But not teal.

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s)..
Umm, ratty around the neck and probably stained in the armpits. But the cotton is soft and comfy. If it's being worn by me, it's probably on backwards (I almost always catch this before leaving the house).

What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature?
My husband.

Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read.
Best? No clue. I'm not really a quote person, besides movies, and even then, it's a joke thing. Uhhh, "Have fun stormin' da castle!"


Do you have a wishlist?
On Amazon.com

Anything else you’d like to share with the group today?
Safety first!

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


free hit counter
eXTReMe Tracker